I am a huge fan of mac and cheese and this homemade version is delicious! It’s a grown up version of a childhood favorite.
3/4 box elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Cook the pasta al dente
3) While pasta is cooking, melt the 5 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in flour and mustard and keep it moving for 4-5 minutes to make sure it’s free of lumps.
4) Stir in milk, egg and paprika and simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Stir in 3/4 of the cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6) Mix the sauce and pasta into a casserole dish and top with the remaining cheese.
7) Melt the remaining butter in saucepan and toss the breadcrumbs to coat, top the macaroni with the bread crumbs.
8) Bake the pasta for 30 minutes and serve.