Summer is almost here! It seems like it took forever didn’t it? But with Memorial Day this week we can safely say winter is dead. Now we can talk about great summer recipes that are great for the heat. I was asked by Redpack Tomatoes to join in on their “Toss in the Flavor: Summer Salads” promotion. May is National Salad Month and to celebrate, Redpack will be running a giveaway where the winner will get a Grand Prize Picnic Basket that includes every tool you would ever need to make your own summer salads. The promotion is running from May 13 to June 10 on Facebook. Just follow Redpack Tomatoes on Facebook for your chance to enter along with tons of salad recipes for you to enjoy this summer!
As part of the promotion, I’ve made my own summer salad. I used Redpack Petite Diced Tomatoes and make a Southwestern inspired dish that was delicious and healthy.
1 lb thin cut chicken breast
2 cups chicken broth
3/4 head of iceberg lettuce
1 14 oz can Redpack Petite Diced Tomatoes, drained
1 14 oz can yellow corn, drained
1 14 oz can black beans, drained
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup sharp cheddar
1) Pour chicken broth into stockpot and bring to a boil. Add chicken breasts and boil for 20-25 minutes until no longer pink.
2) Place chicken onto plate and shred with forks. Once done, add BBQ sauce and mix well.
3) Wash and chop lettuce and place into large bowl.
4) Add tomatoes, black beans and corn.
5) Add chicken and mix well.
6) Serve into bowl and top with some cheddar.