This is an amazing sandwich! It’s got rich mozzarella, tomato and a little bit of basil. This version gives you super melty cheese and a great crunch to your bread. The way the mozzarella melts on this makes it go perfectly with the fresh tomato to give it a mix of rich and fresh. The basil thrown in also gives it a punch of extra delicious that is perfection! I used mayo to make them extra crispy and flavorful, if you want to know why mayo is a better option for grilled cheese see here.
2 slices thick bread
2 slices tomato
2 oz mayonaise
4 oz mozzarella
1 tablespoon chopped basil
1) Spread mayo on one side of each slice of bread.
2) Slice the mozzarella and tomato into thin slices.
3) Heat the pan to medium high heat, and place the first slice of bread onto the pan.
4) Place mozzarella, basil and tomato onto bread and top with the other slice.
5) Cook for a few minutes but keep checking the bottom to make sure it doesn’t burn. The mayo will help you get longer cook time to really help the cheese melt. Then flip and cook the other side.
This was amazing. It hits the spot so wonderfully!