Baked Ziti is a classic dish and this version of Crockpot Baked Ziti gives you a slow cooked meat sauce without overcooking your pasta and making it mushy! The sauce comes out perfect and the pasta comes out nice and tender. If you would prefer to switch out the ground beef with turkey, you can and it will cut down on some of the fat.
1 lb ground beef
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
3 cups pasta sauce (make your own here)
2.5 cups chicken broth
1 box, or 4 cups, penne or ziti
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1) In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion till browned. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
2) Pour beef mix, basil, oregano, tomatoes, pasta sauce and chicken broth into the crockpot. Stir to combine and close.
3) Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
4) Add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. If the pasta isn’t fork tender at that time, re-cover and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
5) Top with cheese, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes until melted. Serve.