The cool air of fall is the perfect time to make some of these French Onion Meatballs! It’s similar to the soup but a little heartier but the meatballs have so much flavor! I served these on top of some Crockpot Mashed Potatoes and they were a perfect match! They are easy to put together and the french onion flavor gives it a great pop. I used mozzarella for this recipe but if you would like to top it with provolone or another cheese, that’s OK too.
1/2 Vidalia onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
Pinch of salt
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1 package french onion soup mix (I use this)
Salt and pepper
1 cup water
1 cup beef broth
1 cup shredded mozzarella
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a large nonstick pan, heat a skillet to medium low and add the oil and butter. Once butter is melted, add onions and pinch of salt and stir. Cook and stir occasionally till onions are browned and caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.
3) In a large bowl, mix ground beef, breadcrumbs, 1/2 of the soup mix, egg, salt and pepper. Mix well and form into meatballs. Add a little extra oil to pan, raise heat to medium high and brown meatballs on all sides. Place into a baking dish.
4) In a saucepan, simmer the water, beef broth and remaining soup mix until slightly thickened. Pour over the meatballs and top with mozzarella.
5) Bake for 30 minutes and serve.