Cornbread is something that I didn’t eat a whole lot of for awhile. But then this amazing BBQ place opened up right by my house and we started getting cornbread with our meals. Lets just say I was in love! Now since we can’t live on BBQ alone, as much as I would like to, I sometimes like to just make cornbread alone to have it when we get a craving. This recipe bakes up nice and moist, no dry cornbread in this house!
1.5 cups cornmeal
1.5 cups buttermilk (make homemade buttermilk here)
1.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons honey
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix cornmeal and buttermilk. Let sit for 15 minutes. While sitting, coat a baking pan (9×9 or larger) with cooking spray.
3) In another bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4) Get cornmeal mix and add the butter, applesauce, sugar, honey and eggs. Mix until well combined and not lumpy. Slowly add the dry ingredients and combine well again.
5) Pour mixture into baking pan and bake for 25 minutes. Make sure the toothpick is clean in the middle when testing. Cool for 15 minutes before slicing.