I’ll admit it. As a born and raised Northerner, collard greens were pretty foreign to me. But I wanted to try out something new so I gave it a try. The thing you have to remember about collard greens is that they are a bitter vegetable. You need to slow cook it with some flavoring to make it edible. I enjoyed these once done, the bitterness was calmed by the bacon and broth. If you want to try making these, this is a good first recipe to try.
3 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken broth
1 pound collard greens, chopped course
1) Place Dutch oven on stove over medium heat and cook bacon till fat renders, 2 minutes.
2) Add onion and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
3) Pour in broth and increase heat to medium-high and simmer.
4) Add the greens and once wilted, cover pan and lower heat to medium low.
5) Simmer for 1 hour and season with salt and pepper.