So if you haven’t already figured out…..I’m pretty obsessed with grilled cheese! Check out here , here, here and here for proof of my love. It’s one of my favorite things ever so I always love trying new versions of it. I watched It’s Complicated a few weeks back and besides falling in love with that kitchen (you know what I’m talking about), I wanted to inhale the sandwich that Meryl’s character made. It looked amazing! Now I could have done the original recipe with the croissant, but I wanted to import the idea into something different. Here’s a Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese!
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan
4 slices crusty Italian or French bread
2 tablespoons Honey Dijon mustard
4 slices deli ham
4 slices sliced Mozzarella
1 tablespoons Shredded Parmesan
1) Melt butter in saucepan, add in flour and whisk until well combined. Add in milk and whisk until well combined.
2) Add grated Parmesan and whisk until melted and smooth.
3) Spread mustard and 2 slices of bread. Add butter to bottom of foil covered baking sheet and place the slices, mustard side up on the sheet. Turn on broiler.
4) Layer ham on top of mustard then top with 1 slice mozzarella each. Place the other 2 slices of bread in the remaining butter and broil for a minute until cheese is melted. Remove from broiler and top the sandwich with the plain slices.
5) Place remaining mozzarella on top of the sandwiches and pour the béchamel sauce on top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and return to the broiler until bubbling. Remove and serve at once.