If there is one thing I have an absolute weakness for it’s garlic bread. Crispy bread, melted butter and garlic. So simple but so delicious. If I’m craving some quick, I usually make a few slices of Texas Toast with some of my homemade sauce and it’s a few minutes of heaven. I love homemade garlic bread though and this recipe is an amazing way to have some garlic bread with a favorite. The meatballs come out very flavorful and mixed with the sauce and melted cheese, it’s perfection!
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons salt and pepper each
1 tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon oregano
1.5 cups plain breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Using a serrated knife, cut a V-shape into the middle of each hoagie so you have a place to put the meatballs. Place cut hoagies onto foil covered baking sheet.
3) In a small bowl, add butter and chopped garlic. Cook in microwave until butter is melted and then mix. Brush the butter mix on the insides and outsides of hoagies. Make sure you get a good coating of butter on the inside of the bread. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
4) In a mixing bowl add ground beef, ground pork, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, basil, oregano, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well by hand and form into 12 meatballs about the size of a golfball.
5) Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add meatballs and brown on all sides. Once meatballs are browned, lower heat to simmer and add sauce. I have a great homemade sauce recipe that I used for this, see here. Simmer the meatballs in the sauce until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
6) Once meatballs are cooked, fill hoagies with 3 each. Spoon any remaining sauce over the top and add the cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5-7 minutes.
Just take a minute to enjoy before you dig in, the smell alone is enough to make you want to inhale these!